Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What's good Derek Young?


Thanks for taking your time to come speak to us about what you've done in your professional career. I'm not sure how old you are (you don't look old), but it seems to me that you've been successful at what you've done and been a part of numerous companies, non/profit organizations, projects and what not. The question that caught my attention early on in your presentation was that, how many of us do we plan on sticking with one career job? In other words, how many of us do we plan on having one stable job for our professional career, and not explore other opportunities? Based on what you shared to us, I feel like sticking with one project or job isn't possible. You're always out there in the community, whether sharing your ideas with other companies, or even connecting with pretty much anybody. And I wonder now, if that will be the case for my future and career. Will I be committed to just one project?

Tacoma Runners?
It's amazing how a tweet can send out the message to run. And just like that, you created a running club with over 5000 participants. This comes to mind that with a simple power of social media, anything can happen just like that. Work during the day, run at night. Way to be active!
On Thursdays, you guys meet up, run a couple of miles and go for a drink of beer. So....do you guys run back after the drink or sober up? Haha.

Big Data
It's creepy to now know that anything we do, will be recorded in a system, known as data. I know we didn't talk much about this topic since we ran out of time, but it made me think why do we need records of what we do online and off the web? I can remember living through the technological evolution with changes of technology and all that, but nowadays since that has passed, it's more complicated and it has been implemented in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment