Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Is the "machine" really us?

Link to the video below:

The very first time I actually used one of these "machines" was back in elementary school, where we would go to the computer lab on a weekly basis to learn how to type and increasing my typing speed. Now having to think of my first encounter with the computer, I realized that this was a memorable moment in my life that actually began my technical life. This is a moment where I first entered the virtual world. In just of a matter of time, I learned the basics of how to use the computer, and eventually, I was already surfing the web, using multiple softwares at a time, accessing the internet, etc. Did I actually became the machine? Or was the machine really using me?

The video shown above is quite thought provoking. As you can see, Web 2.0. was a lot more different than what you see nowadays. However, what we "do" on the web is still the same. This video gave me the chills and made me rethink my purpose of using it. It allowed me to think about how Web 2.0 engages us and how I'm willing to provide information to the virtual world out there. Is the "machine" really us? No. I think as time goes by and we continue to adapt or improve technology, we will be machines, as in everything we do is based on technology. I noticed that in the video, it shows how text is evolved. And that gave me the idea of digital text. Nowadays, digital text can be shared, changeable, created, duplicated, collaborated, etc. It's basically more flexible than the use of normal book text. I think this applies to a lot of technical stuff we do. Texting, emailing, articles, YouTube videos, and so on, are all being connected on how we share it. We should rethink on why we actually use the Web 2.0. for what purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment