Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Erik Hanberg, you did great! Here's a "thumbs up"!


Erik Hanberg, you did a marvelous job in presenting to us last week about self-publishing as well as privacy. Publishing has come a long way to now which is known as online publishing. From books and newspapers, to digital sources as e-books and blogs. Currently, I am self-publishing. This blog post as of now is soon to be published to the world wide web. Just like that, it's as instant to publish anywhere, anytime, no biggie, no problem. That's a benefit to online publishing nowadays. It's portable, it take seconds to do so, and of course it's simple. Compare to the old publishing, it would have to be printed, take a lot longer, etc. For me, online publishing immensely benefits me.

Privacy on the other hand, I honestly think I should reconsider what I do online. Erik made a good point on his opening slide. He quoted, "The amount of privacy we have today is the maximum amount we'll have in our lives." Those are some deep words that made me realize and think, is everything being monitored? Is it safe to do anything online? Hmmm....Well I do have Norton Security Suite which protects me from virus attacks or general computer hackers, but that doesn't make me completely invulnerable. I tend to stay off almost all of social media. My social life consists of texting, emailing, and sometimes Facebook. I do limit my activity on FB, as well as keeping everything in the most protected mode they provide. But I notice that there are more and more hackers everyday. There's a lot of security and data I do not know much about online. Erik sure changed my views on the importance of doing what and not online. I can never know who's watching me....

No comments:

Post a Comment